Friday, January 06, 2006

Old Fashioned?



[Tags: Hollywood, Spielberg, Movies, Syriana, Brokeback,
MTV]]




Fuddy-duddy. Old Man. Over the hill.

Not really - I'm only in the mid-30's and I don't think I've reached "old fart status". Yet, I find myself understanding more and rejecting more of "Pop Culture" instead of saying "Yeah, hey that's great!"


Hi - We french kiss each other on film!


For instance, I really have NO want or need to see Brokeback Mountain. Now I like westerns - but the westerns I like have strong characters that either struggle between good and evil or struggle against death (or for life, whichever you like better). I don't want to see gay men in the west with spurs - it's a little to 70's Village People for me. Don't care if DiNiro, Paccino and Nicholson is in it and they ravage Clint Eastwoods rear end - it's not something I want to see no matter how good the acting is or how progressive the story. If I want to watch a western, how about a John Wayne, John Ford or Spagetti western with Eastwood? Or even a modern western like "Young Guns" or "Pale Rider". This poofter western is like watching a D-Day movie with 2 GI's making out on Omaha beach.

Then we get into the sympathetic Muslim movies like Syriana or Munich. We feel the need to have sympathetic enemies in Hollywierd - and we're supposed to swallow this crap? Granted, Spielberg does make some good movies, however no matter how you spin the deaths of innocent people in 1973 and explain the reasons with "tortured souls" such as the terrorists who carried out these killings, doesn't do it. How about a nice sympathetic movie about the Oklahoma Bombings or maybe a "tortured" Unibomber movie?


Help! Muslim terrorist save me from the corrupt oil hungry Americans!


Syriana I will not see unless it's free on television. Movies.com writes:

"What's the Deal? This multiple-plot mosaic is about corruption in the oil industry, right-wing think-tanks that want to squeeze the Middle East into an America-friendly mold, CIA operatives betrayed by their own country, the nurturing of fundamentalist Muslim suicide bombers and a young energy analyst and family man cashing in on the death of his own child. And it feels like someone just dropped a 100-gallon barrel of oil in your lap."

In other words, more liberal propoganda being passed off as "art". While I guess it is freedom of expression it doesn't mean its good. You can only polish a turd so much until it falls apart right? So needless to say, I'll be skipping Clooney's latest piece of garbage. Hey George, how about making another insipid "Oceans 25" movie, this time with Bo Derek as an aged naked wrinkled grandmother who hides the hope diamond in her belly folds? (Oops... I'm sorry, was that a little harsh?)

As I've posted before, I don't get MTV's sweet 16 stuff, the million dollars being spent on decadent spoiled teenagers who have no responsibilities or cares in the world. There's some great lessons there huh? Get your 15 minutes of spoiled freedom - while, who cares if they don't know who General Grant was, or how to solve for X. Partayyy! I think business is outsourcing to other countries for one simple reason - the college gratuate Americans are too stupid to do the jobs. Businesses may feel like they need to get the work into competent hands and today's youth just doesn't seem to cover it. The Leno "Man on the Street" segments just make me cringe.


Say dear... wanna go kill some Jew atheletes?


So does that make me old fashioned? I like strong characters in my movies not limp wristed ones (not that there's anything wrong with that - I just don't necessarily want to watch it). While I sometimes do like "Will and Grace", I find some of the material outside of good taste and the content at times just a little much. A wee bit too "East Village NYC" bohemian open lifestyle. Art is useful, necessary. The creative folks always are a little "weird" and that's usually what makes them good at what they do. But that doesn't mean that I agree or like anything else that they do other than their art. Now, when it comes to Clooney & the Hollyweird ilk, I usually DON'T agree with ANYTHING they have to say, do, like or have opinions on. Some of their movies are ok - but that's about it. These are NOT the people who are models for our children or to young people in any way - they are the direct opposite of what young people should model themselves after. If anything - Old Fashioned, while full of problems and issues in itself, is at least familiar rather than "alien".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home