Friday, November 26, 2004

Monkey Poo Coffee



A recent trip into NY found me in a very nice posh Hilton hotel right down the street from Radio City Music Hall and Rockerfeller Center. While in the restaurant and me being a little bit of a coffee buff, I looked over a short list of refreshing beverages when I spied with my little eye a cup of coffee with a price tag of $12.95. Now, this isn't "jaw dropping" as this IS NYC. I've had $5 coffee before (which was no better than convenience store coffee by the way) at restaurants and supposed "fine dining" establishments - but $12.95??? It was a typo - and obvious typo.

When the waiter got to me I asked for a plain coffee and matter of factly mentioned there was a small typo on the coffee. The waiter - not missing a beat said that the coffee I referred to was Kopi Luwak, and Indonesian coffee. I believe my exact words were: "Really..." He nodded very smugly, while next to me a friend urged me to "do it man".

Fine. By all accounts it was a pretty damn good cup of coffee - a little spicy with full body. Being curious, I went to the friendly neighborhood internet and looked up Kopi Luwak. To my dismay I then remembered this coffee - it's commonly called Crappicino, since it is eaten by a small monkey, pooped out, collected, de-hulled, dried and sold at premium prices.


The little bugger responsible for $100 a pound of coffee


Rather than bore everyone who's not very hip on coffee - the digestive juices (urp) of the little primate is supposed to give it that "spice" I mentioned before. While I'm an open minded person, I will not usually spend $12.95 on a CUP of coffee but will spend that on a POUND of coffee.

Feeling adventurous?

Get some CRAPPICINO (otherwise known as (Kopi Luwak) and other mamal touched products.

Get some NON primate pooped on coffee that damn good (Baby's Coffee)

Read all about Kopi Luwak.

Only Indonesians would attempt to save pooped out coffee and then convince Westerners it's the best on earth and charge outrageous prices. If they aren't capitalists I don't know who is.



1 Comments:

Blogger RomanWanderer said...

It's easy to spend $8 on a beer here in NY. Those I pity the most are the Starbucks addcits though- spend $3.50 ona cup of coffee that tastes like cardboard with sugar.

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home