Thursday, December 02, 2004

Cartoons at 30


I'm not gay - I'm just READY!

What does it mean when men, grown men continue watching cartoons? I remember when I was little my brother-in-law (who was 30ish then) liked to watch cartoons still. I mean there's 100 channels of crap on and none of it's decent, so I find myself chuckling at "The Fairly Odd Parents" or "Spongebob".

THEN I see this little article from the BBC (leave it to our brothers across the pond to find this conjecture):

IS SPONGEBOB GAY?

Now clearly the little yellow guys' got a thing for the Squirrel right? I mean, they're different species so it'll never work out, but he's trying right? Plus, with Gary playing the straight part and Patrick the dumb neighbor - it's almost pure sit-com formula marketed straight at 5-10 year olds.

Next thing we'll find out is that the Adult Swim cartoons are all gay as well. The Family Guy is having an affair with The Monarch and the entire clan from Sealab 2021 are marching in the Gay Pride parade in 2005 right?

I actually find some of the sophisticated humor in the some of the kids shows quite amusing and the potty humor in the late night toons appeals to my immature side.

What's a guy to do? When the History channel is re-running the Middle Ages, Animal Planet has the Aussies on ALL the time chasing snakes, and ABC, NBC and CBS all have "reality" barf-a-rama's going - everything else is in re-runs (CSI, Law & Order, PBS is showing the life and times of Jazz again) what else is there? I mean even Southpark is good once in a while for a change of pace - but the wittyness has left the building there - it's just written now for shock value and pushing the envelope.


Fat or big boned?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home